EMAIL US Editor@SmartRailWorld.com
/ CALL US + 44 (0) 20 7045 0900
  • 4531_SmartTransit_2019_Banner_728x90
  • 180731_BU_EB_1802_unife-wrms_728x90

Video: Going underground in the world's longest and deepest rail tunnel.

Posted by Luke Upton on Jun 2, 2016

Gotthard Base Tunnel Opens Officially (SmartRail World)Almost twenty years since the first blast in the main shaft heralded the beginning of construction, the world’s longest and deepest railway tunnel has opened in Switzerland.  The new 57km (35-mile) twin-bore Gotthard base tunnel provides a rail link at maximum speeds of up to 250 kilometres per hours, and will boost both passenger and freight travel in Europe. A truly remarkable project, with speeds made possible by the straight route with no tight curves and no level crossings on the overground sections. The capacity increase will be significant, from December 2016, up to 210 freight trains will pass through the tunnel per-day, joined by 52 passenger trains. The boost to freight will help reduce the loads delivered by heavy lorries that occupy the narrow roads snaking through the mountains.

In a ceremony attended by a host of European leaders, they reflected on the challenges of construction, the total cost of which had to be approved by a referendum of the Swiss people in 1992, is 9.8 billion Swiss francs, or 10.3 billion US dollars. Whilst nine people lost their lives while constructing the Gotthard Base Tunnel.

Construction

During the construction of the Gotthard Base Tunnel, the tunnellers had to bore through a wide variety of different rock strata, from hard granite to crumbly sedimentary rock. Tunnel boring machines carried out 80 per cent of the work in the main tunnels and conventional blasting methods were used for the remaining 20 per cent. A total of 28.2 million tonnes of excavated material was removed from the tunnel. In order to save time and money, the tunnellers worked on different sections of the tunnel at the same time.

Workers, materials and machinery were transported to the construction sites in the mountain via access galleries and shafts. With rock cover up to 2,300 metres in depth, the Gotthard Base Tunnel is the deepest rail tunnel in the world. The temperature inside the mountain reached as high as 50 degrees Celsius.

 

 

Freight Trains

The level rail route through the Gotthard brings major benefits for freight traffic. It allows for longer, heavier trains, fewer locomotives and shorter journey times. The efficiency and reliability of rail freight traffic will increase, making it more competitive. In addition, the transport capacity of the route will increase. As many as 260 freight trains will be able to pass through the Gotthard Base Tunnel every day. On the historic mountain route, the maximum number was 180. In future, freight trains travelling through the Swiss Alps will no longer require an additional bank engine, which elim - inates the need for time-consuming shunting. This means that the tunnel will be able to absorb the expected increase in the volume of goods being transported on the northsouth route.

European transport leaders will be assembling at Smart Metro (incorporating the 7th Annual CBTC World Congress, which returns to Copenhagen on 1-3 November 2016 Book today to join them! 

Passenger Trains

More than 20 million people in the catchment area between southern Germany and northern Italy will benefit from the Gotthard Base Tunnel. Thanks to the level route, train connections will be faster, more reliable and more punctual. Passenger trains will travel every half hour on the north-south axis. Passenger trains generally travel through the tunnel at a speed of up to 200 km/h. In future, top speeds of up to 250 km/h are possible. The reduction in journey times will gradually become noticeable from 2016 onwards. Once work on the entire length of the Gotthard axis (incl. Cen - eri Base Tunnel) has been completed, the journey between Zurich and Lugano will be around 45 minutes shorter. 


If you liked reading about the world's longest and deepest rail tunnel you may also be interested in:

World's longest and deepest rail tunnel begins high-speed rail tests.

Interactive new 360° video lets you explore Crossrail tunnels.

€13.1 billion transport investment plan endorsed by EU states.

Could the bitterly disputed €9bn Lyon-Turin line be back on track?

Introducing Europe’s fastest mass-produced train, the Frecciarossa 1000.  

Topics: projects, VideoOfTheWeek

Luke Upton

Written by Luke Upton

Get The Latest Updates From SmartRail World

Please use the form below to leave a comment about this story.
Top