SmartRail World is proud to launch its SmartTransit Innovation Awards 2016, aimed at spotlighting all that’s best about transit innovation in North America. We are now accepting entries that feature the very best products and solutions for the transit (rail, metro and bus) industry in North America. Enter the SmartTransit Innovation Awards if you have a new, innovative product, service or way of working, or app which will improve the mass transit and you want to tell the industry about it!
At the 2015 Awards Bombardier took the Product of the Year title with their ‘YardSafe’ safety solution which provides improved location awareness for workers in rail yards and maintenance facilities. And Los Angeles County Metropolitan Authority (LA Metro) secured Project of the Year with their new intelligence based surveillance system being implemented as part of a 30 year rail transit expansion. And this year we are also proud to launch a new award, SmartRail World Transit App of the Year. We’d like to invite you today to learn more about the awards and submit your entry!
We have three separate awards. Size isn’t important, you could be a one-person start-up, a railroad or a global multi-national. Innovation is the key.
“So what is innovation?
Those other dots.
The ones others miss.
And having the certainty to know that the dots you see are not only valid but necessary if the world is to move forward.”
- David Brier
SmartTransit product of the Year – identifies the best and most innovative products in the rail industry. Hardware or software, it can be a new product, an update of an existing solution or an improved way of utilising current technology that will improve our industry. The focus can be large or small but the product and the improvement it makes is the important factor. Open to entrants from solution providers and individuals.
SmartTransit project of the Year – recognizes new developments and ways of thinking in improving and increasing efficiency in rail project delivery and management. With a particular focus on projects that have helped deliver a safer, more reliable transit network, increased capacity, boosted ridership or improved passenger experience. We welcome entrants from transit agencies as well as solutions providers.
NEW FOR 2016! SmartRail World Transit App of the Year - apps have quickly become an important part of passenger communication and engagement for most transit agencies. To reflect this, we have launched a search for the best app currently on offer to transit passengers in North America. Our panel of SmartRail World editorial professionals and a selected user group of public transport users will assess each app in terms of quality of the idea (including creativity and originality), implementation of the idea (including design), usability and the improvement it has on passenger experience.
- The product or project must have been deployed in the past 12 months within a transit setting in North America.
- The product or project must be developed in North America and/or deployed in the North American market.
- Hypothetical projects or products will not be accepted.
- Previous entries will not be accepted.
- Only one entry per company per award.
- Feedback will not be given by the judging panel.
- The judges decision is final.
What do I get if I win?
Winning a SmartTransit Innovation Award or SmartRail World Transit App of the Year will enhance your product or projects reputation and marketability plus deliver a message to the industry that you are a leader in transit innovation. In addition you receive…
- Media coverage on all SmartRail platforms.
- Exclusive editorial feature on SmartRail World.
- Promotion to the SmartRail World community of over 50,000 rail professionals.
- Presentation of Award at SmartTransit (Elizabeth, New Jersey, October 25-26th 2016)
- Promotion of winning entry at SmartTransit 2016 and opportunity to network with other innovators and showcase your innovation at an attended by 100s of others rail and metro leaders from across North America.
- Announcement and press release through our external media partners.
- Right to use the Award in your own promotion and media.
How does the process work?
- Send a short abstract about the innovation (500 words maximum) detailing the product, project or app, why it is innovative and what is results have been to Editor@GlobalTransportForum.com and feel free to include any relevant supporting images or videos. For those entering the app award, please submit a link to where it can be downloaded.
- All entries will be thoroughly reviewed and a shortlist created.
- Winners will be selected by our international jury of industry experts.
- All entries must submitted by: 6pm (Pacific) 30th September.
- Shortlist announced: 11th October
- Winner Announced; 25th October
- Mark Musselwhite, Director, 3rd Party Distribution, Amtrak
- Alain Kornhauser, Ph. D. Princeton Professor and ATRA Chairman, Advanced Transit Association
- Robert Stewart, Past Chairman, National Association of Railroad Passengers
- Bernie Wagenblast, Editor, Transportation Radio & Transportation Communications Newsletter
- Luke Upton, Editor, SmartRail World
- And more being confirmed shortly.
Read more about our past innovation awards: